Loring Park is the premier urban park
in downtown Minneapolis.
Established in 1883, Loring Park was the first public park commissioned by the newly formed Public Park Board. Originally named Central Park, Loring Park was designed by Horace Cleveland in the golden age of 19th Century progressive urban development. In 1890 the park was renamed to honor Charles Loring, the first president of the new park department.